Sunday, October 31, 2010

Outsourcing - Harder workers and Better results vs. American Protectionism and the "Current State of Unemployment"

President Obama recently visited India and did not visit the cities that President Bush did, namely the IT hubs Bangalore and Hyderabad. Obama visits India Furthermore, in a related article, India's National Knowledge Commission Chairman Sam Pitroda rebutted arguments that India robbed American jobs by stating that outsourcing job training to India could reduce costs to American companies while retaining American workers.  I believe that emotions are running high with the current level of unemployment and that President Obama is cognoscente of this fact.  That being said, I also believe both fiscally and economically that jobs should go to the hardest workers, in this instance, India's.  I'm saying "the current state of unemployment" as a tongue in cheek phrase.  I for one believe that many of America's unemployed and disinterested workers simply refused to do real work.  Having worked in the agricultural industry and worked night shifts cleaning warehouses, I understand the frustrations that many of American workers have.  However i do not agree that unemployment is a better alternative to labor intensive jobs.  That, I attribute to a bloated sense of  entitlement that only unemployment checks can bring.  Americans have high standards of living and low job skills, whilst many of India's workers have comparably lower standards of living to American workers with those same high job skills.  For a company, employing those who will yield the greatest value for the lowest pay is fiscally sound.  The left has never settled with this fact but neither have they settled with progress in economic terms.  I believe that Obama has found himself stuck in between a corner and a rock in this instance.  He has realized for the first time that America's workers are spoiled and that India's workers have much to offer.  Whether Obama will allow those who wish to contribute to America or not is his choice and from a liberal point of view he should, he is a descendent of immigrants and one would think he'd retain that perspective.  For the time period, it does not look like he wishes to lose more American jobs to overseas competition and I find it highly ironic for someone in his position to take the stance he is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment