Friday, November 12, 2010

Walmart penetrating ecommerce

Walmart is usually known for it's massive inventories of inexpensive products with little to no customer support. They've taken it just one more step further by promoting its ebusiness. They are competing against e-giants such as amazon.com. They are eliminating shipping from 60,000 items. The interesting thing is that the majority of these items are electronics.
"Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is clearly going for the jugular in the holiday retailing fight. It announced Thursday that it will offer free shipping on nearly 60,000 online items — with no minimum purchase requirement." Walmart
Sent from my Iphone

4 comments:

  1. Well, that will definitely help them out this Christmas. Alot of people use online shopping nowadays, and shipping is always a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes sense. Wal-Mart has huge inventories and a very competent supply-chain, so there is no reason they should not be able to sell online as well. I think it will increase sales and offhand seems to be a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to point out the extent and influence of mobile technology that can be seen with this post. We have talked in class so many times about the continuing trend toward mobile internet access and advertising, and I would like to thank Jacob for the first mobile blog that I have encountered since I started this class. Perhaps if we had been taking this class in a few years, all of us would be blogging from our phones.

    About Wal-mart--they are unstoppable. I do question how much moving online will actually boost their sales, however, considering that they have spent so much time and energy placing a Wal-mart no more than about a 20 minute drive from where ever you happen to be. Because of the availability of physical store locations in even some of the most remote places, this could end up being a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! But have they done any e-business of this magnitude before? Wal-Mart is identified for its awesome supply chain management. Is this a huge risk they are taking by doing something that they have no experience? Are they technologically so updated and advanced that they can handle such large number of e-businesses? Well these are some questions, whose answers we will know soon.

    ReplyDelete